Skip to main content

Today.

Today, like I have been doing for the past five years, I woke up as a wife, to a husband who worships the floor I walk on. I knew I was right when I choose him.

 I also woke up a mother to two bubbly kids. Very rude pair if I must add. Samson and I are still wondering where we went wrong with those two- Samson and Lucy. Twins. Five years old. We just kept yelling and threatening without change. But still I adore them and they adore me.

 On this day like every other day, my routine was pretty much the same. Prepare food for the family or they all starve since I hold the key to their survival. After breakfast I moved on to tackle those kids into the school bus like we do every day, I see Little Samson was becoming more mature but Lucy has resolved to be a brat.

 I always blamed Samson for Lucy's attitude and then he blames me back and then we would quarrel. After tossing the children on the school bus, Samson and I would race off to work.

 I am a psychologist at a very fancy secondary school and Mike is into advertising. I returned from work at the same time the children returned from school. 2:00pm.

As is the usual fashion I would prepare food for the children and at the same time bathe them. After that I made ate to their fill before they run off to play and I would scream my head off trying to find out who turned the room upside down or who pinched the other.

 It was this part of my day that I hated the most because it was a constant reminder of how much I failed myself. I remembered the day I choosed to stop practising medicine. It was causing a rift between Samson and I. Let’s just leave it as a rift and not say I was massaging Samson's ego.

I would constantly sit and just visualize how much impact I would have had on the kids if I actually carried out surgical procedures. On afternoons like this, I would have been performing a surgical procedure and the kids would be busy playing somewhere in the hospital or at a day-care someplace.

Samson did not like the idea and I knew I had to compromise. Nevertheless, I loved to see my family happy and happy we were. By 5 pm Samson would return home. Now, this is the part I looked forward to. The kids did not miss him half as much as I did. For two reasons he was the love of my life and I could not stand being alone with the children. Samson was laughing so hard as we crumpled to the floor. The kids seized the opportunity and tried to join the pile.

 The rest of our day was spent doing nothing in particular. We ate Eba-garri and egusi soup from one plate as a family. If you think we did this for the family bond you are wrong. Little Samson and Lucy would have preferred to have their own plate and Samson hated eating with people he would always say “You people do not know how to eat.” 

They all carried out this little ritual for my sakes because I was trying to make my dead grandmother who I believed was constantly looking down at us every evening to be filled with joy.

 My mother always told us stories about grandmothers eating rule but she never imposed it on us. And as a little girl, I could not just help but feel sorry for my grandmother so I took up the challenge to please my dear grandmother once I had my own family.

 Tonight our meal went well. I was surprised the children ate to their fill. They hated Eba so much.

 There was power so we watched a movie that was rated 18. I always knew in my heart that Samson and I were bad parents but saying it out loud ate up every consolation I had said to help myself have a successful journey to my dreams every night.

 The characters were about to kiss each other passionately in the rain when armed men burst into our home. I know that it was no use pointing fingers but it had to be said I always told Samson to replace the security light outside but he refused.

We fell to our knees in a plea. Lucy and Samson would not stop crying I begged for mercy but the mercy I got was a gunshot on my forehead, Samson, on the other hand, was beaten and eventually shot in his legs and finally his forehead. The robber towered over my kids who were completely shaken.

 If you summed up my children’s fear for Samson and myself it was nothing compared to the fear the children had for this intruder and his friends. The armed man pointed his gun at my little boy and shot him. He actually meant to shoot Lucy but he was too high on whatever he was smoking to see clearly.

Apparently, he was instructed by Samson's jealous lover to only threaten us and not kill us. She was hoping Samson would divorce me after this. I guess better luck next time.

Although Lucy was not killed, my little girl died that night too. She was no longer bubbly but she was still rude. She lived with my parents and she gave them all the headache I never had the chance to give them. Lucy grew up to be nothing like me. She never became a mother nor a wife. I was hoping she would be a doctor at least but she chose to become a farmer living in solitary.

 Lucy remembered us all. And the night she was left alone was forever fresh in her memory. But she lied to herself and everyone that she remembered nothing about us and that night. “It’s better this way” she lied to herself before she embraced sleep every night.

Lucy forever saw the dawn of a new day as a privilege. She hated it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Story

Yemi sat in the corner at Mrs Oritse's restaurant eating her lunch half-heartedly while thoughts of work that awaited her return back at the office rented her mind. It was his laughter that drew her attention as he shook hands with a friend  cheerfully.  Mr Perfect took a sit at a table next to Yemi's. She wanted to cry out "Why so perfect?".   He moved easily, dropping freckles of how perfect he was. When he smiled, Yemi became blindYemi  allowed to see just him but, he did not see her. Not even a glance in her direction he just mindlessly scratched the stubble on his chin while he went through his phone. His nose fitted his face perfectly, his well-sculpted face on his clear light skin looked relaxed like he did not have a care in the world.  Yemi wondered if he was alone and toyed with the idea of joining him at his table and she nervously drummed her hands on the table and wiped sweat lightly from her forehead. "I should go over cooly and join him

Nigerians Versus Foreign Accents

For Nigerians, there is only one solution to a shut door and that is breaking the entire building down. This is because Nigerians always find a way to get through. The fight is never easy. This is why the older generation always dishes out nuggets on survival to the younger generation.  You just have to survive! Even if it means changing a lot of things about yourself like your complexion, age, accent. Today, I am going to focus on fake accents. This almost every Nigerian is guilty of. Sounding foreign in order to be steps ahead of people who sound “ local” .  With this fake accent, you can penetrate into almost any space in the society. Does not matter the nationality you represent as long as you sound foreign.  One would assume this must be pretty frustrating. Yes, it is. How is this frustration eased?  By making fun of those who still speak with a Nigerian intonation by calling them derogatory names when in truth, the individual with both a British and American ac

The People

I know a place filled with a carefree lot. The citizens love living life fast and on the edge. Lord knows how hard they dance on the edge despite knowing that the rock might tilt and they end up at the bottom of the hill. Another thing these people love besides living fast and loud is Hope. One would not blame them because hope seemed to be the only constant thing in their lives. Hope was always there. They could be in a vehicle that is about to explode and their general thought would be;  I know this vehicle is about to go up in flames and we will all die but I, however, HOPE!! it does not happen before I get to my destination.  They make all sorts of wild decisions;   Let us build our houses close to oil fields. And in times of an explosion, we grieve and continue living there anyway.  What happens when a pandemic occurs? They fold their arms and hope somehow it will just go away.  And with a government that does not put the citizens first, the citize